Uh oh… you’ve got another water heater leak. You went down to the basement to check on something, or perhaps to grab some old storage containers that you’ve kept down there and you notice the constant dripping next to the water heater tank. Well, at least you’ve detected the problem, now we need to figure out what to do!
Water heater leaks aren’t all that uncommon. For a system that cycles through hundreds of gallons of water, they’re likely to encounter leaks at some point. Basically, we want to reassure you that there’s no panic needed at this moment. With a trained professional on hand, you can get your water heater fixed, or even a water heater installation in Cedar Rapids, IA. Just make sure you learn from this experience and make the right call depending on what your home requires.
Here’s what you should do if you encounter a bad water heater leak.
First things first, we need to address some things right off the bat. Unless you live with a licensed, certified water heater technician, you’re not going to be able to fix this problem immediately. So, here’s a step-by-step guide for what you can do when you first encounter a leak.
- Call for help. Unless the water is gushing out a gallon at a time, take a second to call for support from our team or whichever local service professional you prefer.
- Keep the area clean while you wait. Grab some towels or a bucket so you can collect the dripping water. If water is gushing out at an alarming rate, then we’d advise you to shut your water off so there’s an end to the leaking water.
- Survey the damage. Where is the leak coming from? Is that leak near any other sensitive parts of your home? Is it near an electrical line or panel? These are things you’re going to want to tell us when we get to your house to start fixing things.
When a professional is providing service, there are a few things you can do to help.
- Show them the location of the water heater and any other vital information. You know your house better than anyone, which is why it’s so important that you explain the details and nuances of your water heater and the basement that it’s in.
- Ask questions to help in the future. Technicians that are friendly and reliable will always appreciate an attentive homeowner. Ask questions if you need answers, and we’ll help as best we can while we’re fixing your water heater.
- Tell us if you’re satisfied. If you’re happy with the solution we’ve proposed, then great! If not, then perhaps we can come up with a different solution. Feedback is always welcome and it’s part of the job.
After the Job Is Done
When the repair is finished, it’s important to stay vigilant in the future. Pay close attention to the efficiency, reliability, and lifespan of your water heater. If it looks like it’s frequently running into problems, or you’re paying too much each month for hot water, then you might be looking at a replacement soon. Otherwise, this vigilance can help you be quick on the draw the next time your water heater leaks.
At Dalton Plumbing, Heating, Cooling, Electric and Fireplaces, Inc., your comfort is our promise! To set up an appointment in the Cedar Rapids area, give us a call at the number above, email email@example.com or schedule an appointment online.