When it comes to the structure and general format of our homes, electrification is quite recent. We know, it might be impossible to imagine the world without our handy devices and our television sets, but back in the day, there was no electricity to be used!
People used to light their homes with oil lamps, walls and windows were drafty, and life was just a lot different. The invention of the “board game” and sing-along songs was due to the fact that people didn’t have as many fun devices or the internet to help with enjoying spare time.
However, at the turn of the 20th century, homes in America became electrified in rapid succession. This old form of wiring, known as knob and tube wiring, was the only way to set up a home for electricity. Unfortunately, this type of wiring is now considered a hazard and should be removed from your home by a licensed electrician in Cedar Rapids, IA.
What Is Knob and Tube Wiring?
Knob and tube wiring is exactly what it sounds like. It’s basically a collection of exposed wires that run through the ceiling or attic of your home, composed of knobs and tubs. The wires are hung on knobs and then run through tubes.
These are not wires in the way that we think of them (the colorful, rubber-coated wires), and instead, they’re just completely exposed. That’s what makes them so bad to have in your home.
The Safety Hazard of Exposed Wires
Back in the day when knob and tube wiring was popular, the hazards from electricity weren’t well understood. For instance, people didn’t really have good methods for insulating these live wires so they they didn’t spark or start fires in particularly dry homes.
However, now that we know how dangerous exposed wiring can be, these types of wires quickly became out of date and a hazard.
Knob and tube wiring must be disconnected and removed, otherwise, it will pose a threat to your home and family. They’re a fire hazard and an electrocution hazard. Critters can bite them or touch them, causing other problems as well.
Insurance Costs and Selling Your Home
One of the biggest reasons to get your knob and tube wiring removed is due to insurance costs and the selling of your home. Once an insurance company finds out (through a home inspection) that your house contains knob and tube wiring, it can severely increase premiums. And, some first-time homebuyers might not want to purchase a house with that kind of old wiring in it.
Just some food for thought!
An Upgrade Might Be Necessary
If you’ve got knob and tube wiring in your home, chances are high that you also have an old out-dated fuse box instead of an electrical panel. In general, your home might need an electrical overhaul or upgrade. Our team can provide that for you if it’s necessary.
Remember, even though this kind of work might sound extensive, it’s vital for the 21st century. The amount of electronic devices we use on a daily basis has reached the double digits at this point, and making sure your home can safely and reliably provide you with electricity is a major priority.
At Dalton Plumbing, Heating, Cooling, Electric and Fireplaces, Inc., your comfort is our promise! To set up an appointment in the Cedar Rapids area, give us a call at the number above, email firstname.lastname@example.org or schedule an appointment online.