Imagine if all the electricity in your home went directly to your refrigerator. You probably wouldn’t have a refrigerator for very long. Thankfully, modern homes have electrical panels to manage and distribute our supply of electricity.
As you can guess, the electrical panel is a highly important system–it helps us run our homes and protects our appliances’ well-being. This makes it even more important to be on the alert for when your electrical panel is on its last leg.
Having an electrical panel that needs to be replaced can sometimes be tricky to diagnose. We are here to help. Let’s look at some of the warning signs you might be seeing so you can figure out if they are alerting you to an electric panel that needs to be upgraded.
5 Signs Your Electrical Panels Needs an Upgrade
If you need to upgrade your electrical panel, it is best to get the job done quickly. Here are some warning signs that will alert you to the need for an upgrade.
- Frequently tripped circuits: You turn on the lights in one room and plug in your phone and end up tripping a circuit. That’s a pretty low threshold for a circuit to flip over and it may be an indicator that your electrical panel needs an upgrade.
- The panel is over 25 years old: If you aren’t sure about the age of your electrical panel it is worthwhile to have it checked out. An electrical panel that is 25 years old or more is one that needs to be replaced.
- You notice the panel smells or sounds strange: When you check on your electrical panel take note of any concerning new things it has started to do. For example, it may be making a buzzing noise or it could be emitting the smell of burning wires. In either of these cases, new noises and strange scents coming from your electrical panel is a cause for concern.
- It is hot to the touch: Place your hand near the face of your electrical panel. Do you feel any heat? If so, your electrical panel is trying to handle too high of a load. If that is the case, then you need an upgrade to this part of your system.
- You can’t get the energy level you need: Last but not least, if you are noticing that you simply can’t get enough energy for your home’s electrical needs anymore, it is worthwhile to plan for an upgrade. Your electrical panel can only handle so much and if it can’t handle what should be the norm for your home, you need a panel that can.
Having problems with your electrical panel? Don’t try to make do. Instead, reach out to a professional electrician in Cedar Rapids to get the upgrade you need.
At Dalton Plumbing, Heating, Cooling, Electric and Fireplaces, Inc., your comfort is our promise! To set up an appointment in Cedar Rapids, give us a call at the number above, email firstname.lastname@example.org or schedule an appointment online.